Photo du Jour!!

02 September 2009

I'M HERE!!!

I am writing at my wonderful desk in my wonderful host family's home in the wonderful city of Nantes! I feel like it took about 20 years to get here - I have been travelling for a full 2.5 days now. But it was all worth it.

I got into Paris at 6:30 AM their time (=1:30 AM for me) and then had to navigate nasty, nasty customs - it took forever and was about 90 degrees. I finally got through, found my bags (thanks goodness!!!) and then ran around trying to find a phone card/someone with a cell phone/the bus station. I got all three, eventually. Then came the ridiculous ride through the Paris suburbs...it was seriously terrifying. They don't seem to pay much attention to the lane markings, nor any of the traffic signals - especially, it seemed, our bus driver. He was just changing lanes willy-nilly, going around and through spaces that, from a quick glance, looked like only the Night Bus in Harry Potter were going to get through. Eventually, I got to the Paris Opera and met Hugo, our friend who I stayed with overnight. I was literally going on no energy at this point, starving, and sweating like a pig. But then, Hugo brought me down to the Metro, so he could show me how it worked...we went quite a few stops to his house, then walked a few blocks to his house. All dragging my very heavy bags along with us. At that point I couldn't even speak English, let alone French, so I took a shower and then crashed FINALLY! That shower was honestly one of the best experiences of my life.

Five hours later, I woke up and Hugo (who is a professional tour guide) was like -We're goin out! So we headed out to see the sights. I don't understand how we fitted everything in to that day that we did. But, I saw Notre Dame, then rue de St. Michel, bought my cell phone (yay!), saw some of the Sorbonne, then the Louvre, then got the most delicious gelatto I've ever had, then walked across Pointe Neuf to the Tuileries, then to the Champs Elysses, then hopped a bus to the Luxembourg Gardens, and arrived back at his flat at about 9 PM. My gosh it was a day. The only way I survived was that it was Paris, because - even now, I'm still pretty jet-lagged. The adrenoline was definitely pumping.

This morning, I was up at 10:30, having planned on getting up at about 9 to see some more -oops! But I packed up again, had some b-fast, then Hugo said goodbye, put me on a bus and I was off again. I took 2 different busses, then walked a few blocks to the Gare Montparnasse. There were no problems getting my pre-purchased train ticket, thank goodness. The ride itself was quite uneventful - saw a few castles, followed the Loire River for a while, you know...no big deal (!!!). I actually sat next to a guy from (I think) Senegal, but he was studying at the Law School in the Universite de Nantes. He was very impressed with the fact that I could speak so well (hah!) and was saying how beneficial it will be, especially with the economic crisis, getting a job later in life....it was neat! We exchanged info, and he said we could meet up for coffee sometime. I networked in French!!

From the train station, I met up with some of my new bffs, my fellow IES students and we split cabs to the IES center - where I'll be taking classes. We hung out - speaking lovely English - for a while, while getting oriented, somewhat, and waiting for our host families to come in. I didn't see much of it, but the school looks cool. It seems a lot like a converted apartment building...very homey. I loved talking with everyone though. Lots of small-world connections...it was fun!

Then, my awesome host mom picked me up. I love her - she's so tiny! But she seems genuinely excited to have me, and was extremely gracious. The drive to the house seemed convoluted, but she explained that there were lots of one-way streets, so walking would not be as hard. But I might be taking the bus still...she kept saying, "we'll see...we'll see." I met my oldest host sister when we arrived at the gorgeous house...Marie Latitia (i think). From what I can tell, she's an economics student, who just got back from working in New York for a year and is now spending her time chillin, traveling, and making hats? She used me as her model for one, it was hilarious. My younger sister - Adelaide - is adorable. She looks like a tiny Jessica Krebs, for those of you who know her haha. But she was all kinds of excited to meet me and she talks really fast but her mom keeps throwing her the "i'm using your full-name, you'd better behave look" and she slows down so I can understand. It's great.

At dinner, we discussed Harry Potter and our favorite Broadway shows and France's new law banning the streaming of movies. They were quite upset. Then we sat down to watch a movie - Largo Wench? It's apparently based on an American comic strip, but of course, I've never heard of it, like I've never heard of anything. One funny thing - Adelaide's phone rang during the movie, and the chorus of the song was literally 'Fuck you, fuck you very much.' Apparently it's a very popular song here. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly back in the states hah.

So, I have a great room, complete with desk, bookshelf, bed and my own bathroom. Best part - FREE PHONE SERVICE TO THE US annnnnnd WI-FI!!! I was a tad excited. So yes, I have my own phone and can call home/Andrew as much as I want. WIN! I think communication was the one thing that I worried most about. Silly me! I also have a door to the front of the house, so if I want I can come and go through that door. Kindof odd, but it'll work.


Now, once again, I'm exhausted, so I have to head to bed. Tomorrow we leave for orientation trip in Vannes, France - a coast city that's apparently a bunch of islands!

No comments:

Post a Comment