Photo du Jour!!

09 October 2011

From now on...my life will pass in 45 minute increments

So I haven't started teaching yet, but I've been in the classroom for a few days, and I think it's going to be good. I'm figuring out my schedule, which I don't think is actually complicated but for some reason has managed to royally confuse me. Essentially, I'm teaching three different levels (called CE2, CM1 and CM2) and I think I've finally mastered the order they go in. They've organized my schedule so that I take half of two classes at a time, and then the other half of those two classes the next period. That sounds confusing, right? But I think I have it now. I've also figured out a lesson planning template that works well for me, and brainstormed for the first three weeks of classes.

I'm also settling in super well. I've been doing lots of sight-seeing-while-running, which has been a great way to see the town. We've done a lot of wandering and getting lost and window shopping and exploring in general. My favorite part is just wandering around a corner and being caught breathless by how gorgeous the view is.

My experiences observing have been interesting. Last week, I went around to all three of my schools with my adviser, Stephan, who then introduced me to all the directors of the schools and the teachers I'd be working with. I was very grateful that Stephan was there...some of the administrators were a bit much to handle right off the bat. One of them, the director of the school where I'll be spending most of my time, literally argued with Stephan about my observation dates - she wanted me to start right away, instead of easing into it like the program usually does. I was super glad I had someone there who 1-had the French skills to argue with her and 2- wasn't completely and utterly intimidated like I was.

When I went in by myself to observe, I met all the rest of the teachers and actually entered the classroom. First impression - everyone's a little terrifying. The discipline here is definitely of a different caliber. I suppose seeing what is expected of small French children should explain a lot about the French adults I've met. But jumping in like I did was a little abrupt. The kids - all around 6 or 8 years old - were expected to have perfect hand writing, to be completely silent, to raise their hand every single time they said anything....and obviously, they're 6 and 8 years old so they didn't do all these things. And the teachers seemed furious. There was a lot of yelling...Annie, the director, at one point sent her class outside to run laps around the playground. It was intense.

I also had my first hilarious language mishap...one of the teachers does speak a little (a VERY little) English, and she has tried to incorporate general English commands into her classroom (stand up, sit down, take out your books, etc.) So at one point, she was yelling at the children to be quiet, and she goes "I'm waiting! and I'm getting VERY HUNGRY!!!" She looks at me for affirmation, and sees my look of total confusion, then quickly corrected herself (to say "I'm getting very ANGRY!") before I burst into giggles. I can't wait for more of those to happen.

Outside of the classroom, things have been pretty uneventful. We did have lots of adventures at the marche on Thursday, which produced some pretty memorable stories. But like I said - we're settling well, and getting excited for the many many other adventures that are to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment