Photo du Jour!!

28 September 2011

ER rooms and 911 Calls...oh my!

Things have been so exciting since I've gotten here. It's like Auch wants to kick me out or something. But it can't make me. I will not leave....even if there isn't an H&M.

Day one here was full of visits to various establishments relating to the French government. My worst fears were avoided...I was only missing one piece of paperwork, and that was only an email from mama away. All the other people in the house also moved in, and now we are full! There is a girl across the hall from me, who's name is Alice. She was born in Auch, and now works in one of the high schools. Down the hall a ways is a girl named Marcela, who is from Bolivia. She is super nice, and speaks English (woo!) but she'll be teaching Spanish in the schools here. Downstairs, there are two guys that apparently we won't be seeing much of. Charlie works third shift, so he mostly sleeps during the day. And Ben has an attached studio type thing, so he stays there. Upstairs is Whitney. She's from San Fran, and is teaching in one of the high schools down the river. I'm pretty sure we're going to be besties. She just graduated as well, she has a boyfriend back home, and she's looking for job/applying to schools...basically, we're in the same place in our lives so it will be nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of, or to cry to or to snap me out of any funks that may arise.

I also went and met up with a guy who I had talked to about renting a room from, but who fell through. He was super fun (Cedric) and he showed us around to some of the touristy things, but also things like the gym, the yoga center, the library, etc. It was very helpful. Then he took us to his favorite bar - a super cute, somewhat secluded patio bar, with trees everywhere and lights in them. It was very homey, and we had a good time. On the way home though, we saw a car crash., where a clearly intoxicated man crashed his car into the center of the roundabout...then he got out and was yelling at everyone. It was no good, so Cedric called the police/ambulance for him.

Day two (which had something of a hazy start, as it took me a little while to figure out that it wasn't actually day three yet....i.e. tomorrow, when I'm meeting my advisor and seeing my school. Not today) was a fun one. After I arrived at the office to find no one there, as the primary schools don't open on Wednesdays, I headed toward the hospital. I've had this dumb skin rash that we thought was poison ivy, but then it exploded and got really bad and spread all over my body. I didn't really get to sleep at all last night, so I decided I should do something about it. I walked out (about a 45 minute walk along the river, which would have been lovely had my entire leg not been on fire) to the hospital, and they directed me to the emergency room (SALLE D'URGENCES). Those are not fun places to be - especially not for what turned out to be a 3 hour wait. Though it was worth it to get a prescription for all sorts of goodies, and strong ones at that. I'm just crossing my fingers that they work, and SOON!

Tomorrow, I'm ACTUALLY meeting with my advisor, which will be exceedingly helpful. We've communicated by email, but only setting up preliminary details. It will be wonderful to meet him (he sounds SUPER nice) and get some information about what I"m doing with my life here. It's odd that I've been functioning so well not knowing anything....and now all the information holes are being filled in. This is kindof the last piece of the puzzle, too...after the travel, then the town, then the house, then the roommates...the only thing left is finding out about my actual employment. I have full confidence that that piece will fit in perfectly too, though, just like all the other ones have!

ALSO - I figured out how to add the tab to my 'Picture of the Day' blog that I decided to do. So you can all check that out too. Woohoooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment