Photo du Jour!!

18 December 2009

NOUS AVONS FINIS!!!

I remember writing the 'requisite day before post.' Like, yesterday. This is SO weird. I just finished my last LAST exam, and I actually feel fairly confident that I did well. Which is also fairly odd. But great!

Also, it snowed overnight so we woke up to a magical wonderland of a light dusting of snow. Then, we had an adventure walking in to school because the busses stopped running because of the snow. It was amazing. It was bittersweet at the same time, because it felt so much like home - and now, I can actually say that Nantes IS home. I've been telling people that I "live in Nantes" when I'm away from it, and talking to people and they ask me. But it's true - it's such a 'homey' town, and I know the map like the back of my hand. And every time I leave on the train, I know that I'll be coming back in a few days to the Nantes station, and I'll be back home again. Except this time, when I won't be coming back. At least for a while - because really, it isn't even a question that I'll be back here again to visit. I don't know when, but it kindof softens those realizations that 'oh, this might be the last time that I'll EVER do this, or that, in this town.' i.e. I was looking forward to the bus ride this morning, because it was going to be the 'last time' taking the 21/23 into school. BUT NOPE. and that was fine - because honestly, at some point, I'll be back here again.

And what makes this town even more irresistible is my amazing host family. Last night was the cutest night of my life, and it was so hard not to cry. While I was helping make dinner, my host mom asked me if I was sad to be going home, or more excited. And I responded, then she told me that they were definitely going to miss me being there, and how "my smile always brightened the house." AGH I love her. Then, at dinner, they gave me a really nice cookbook with traditional French foods which was so cute and perfect, and I exchanged gifts with them as well - I had gotten them some nice Christmas tea, because we have it after dinner every single night. They loved it, and it was a lot of fun. Then, my host dad made us some DELICIOUS chocolate custard for dessert, and we had a 'night cap' of some really good cassis liqueur which was made with his great-grandmother's recipe. He told me that every time someone marries into the family, that recipe is the traditional gift. AND THEN - he gave me the recipe. Big deal. I almost broke down at that point. After, we took some family pictures by the Christmas tree, and then host dad emailed me some more family recipes. It was such an awesome evening, and goodbyes are definitely going to be hard today.

So the plan is that we're heading out to lunch, with the four of us that have been inseparable this whole trip and who I'm going to miss dreadfully (but will see again very soon, so that won't make me cry. It's going to be alright) and then Meryl and I will head home, finish up packing and cleaning the room a little bit. Then, host mom is driving us to the station for our final goodbyes and we'll hop on and head to Paris. We have to change between Montparnasse and Paris Nord which will be interesting, but hopefully hilarious and not super stressful (plus, we have three hours to do it) and then, THE CHUNNEL which hopefully will not kill me....and THEN LONDON! We get in tonight, will find our hotel and crash and then start our two days of adventure tomorrow morning! I can't WAIT and it blows my mind that this trip, which I literally have been looking forward to since April, is actually here. And in 3 days, I will be in my own bed, after taken a shower in my own shower, and with my family and boyfriend just rooms away, instead of oceans. I can't wait. It's going to be amazing, and really truly - I just can't believe how lucky I am.

I'll update with pictures and London later, once I'm home!!!! AU REVOIR DE FRANCE POUR MAINTENANT!

No comments:

Post a Comment